Monday, May 18, 2009

Cabin in the Woods = My Kind of Camping

One of my girlfriends believes that a hotel without room service constitutes camping.  I can go a little farther than that, but why in the world go camping when you can have all the great things about camping (nature, fires, S'Mores) and a nice bed and running water?  

We had a lovely weekend at one of the Sliding Rock Cabins in Ellijay, Georgia (in the mountains, somewhere).  Huge "shout out" to SLR because they allow dogs- no pet fees- and we didn't have to exaggerate about the number of dogs we have We have 3, but when push comes to shove, we have 2 breeds- Golden Retriever(s) and a Border Collie/German Shepherd mix.  Yes, in my head, this somehow justifies breaking the rules.

We stayed in a lovely rustic cabin right on the river and went hiking during the day....side note: I really need to learn how to take pictures as this waterfall was just beautiful.
And had a "camp fire" and roasted S'Mores!  


My secret for super-fabulous S'Mores:
Graham Crackers cut into quarters (I considered the low-fat variety, but why bother?)
Marshmallows- roasted one at a time, preferably over embers rather than roaring flames
Lindt Chocolate- one rectangle

Now here's the key- insert the little rectangle of chocolate into the center of the marshmallow (where the skewer was) and the chocolate will melt inside the marshmallow.  Ooey gooey yumminess.  I also find that I prefer the roasted marshmallow-chocolate to graham cracker ratio best when broken into quarters rather than halves.  Yes, this is a ridiculous thing to obsess about, but whatever.

I'll end with a picture of one of the kids, Tilghman, waiting patiently to go on our walk.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I agree, a cabin is as close to camping as I want to get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is such a good idea...the chocolate INTO the marshmallow. This totally makes me want one right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me hungry! I completely agree on the camping location thing - suffering does NOT make smores taste any better. Cabins are the way to go (and this means cabins with electricity and plumbing, thank you much).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments! It means so much to me.