Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dancing With Myself...


...or in this case, dining with myself.

During the summer between my second and third year of college, I started a tradition of doing date night with myself. For whatever reason, shortly after my twentieth birthday, I decided I wanted to be an independent woman, able to dine on my own or see a movie on my own. I believe this was prompted by a book I had read, but sadly I can't remember which one.


My tastes have matured slightly from the seafood restaurant in Nags Head, North Carolina that summer (it was also my first solo vacation) and illicit glass of very chilled chardonnay. For a few years, I actually planned "date with myself night;" for example, when I lived in Minneapolis, I went to a concert (classical music) and dinner at nearby Capital Grill.
Given my work travel schedule, I have ample opportunities to set aside a fun tonight for myself without missing out on real date nights with my husband. Tonight was that night and gave me the opportunity to check out the frequently-blogged Casa Tua.

Yes, you've all likely seen the pictures and write-ups and sadly I don't have much new to offer on the place. Just my sad story about eating dinner alone. But I have to say, it did live up to the hype. My truffle risotto with asparagus was divine... and, a veritable bargain at $26 compared with the $49 I spent on a similar, but not as good, risotto at the Four Seasons in Hawaii. The wine list had some interesting finds, but also seemed overly marked up, but this is Miami.

And this was my very seat. Great view of the room and a fabulous book collection behind me.

via P Keigan, Flikr

Alas, one must be a member to visit the club upstairs and given my lack of A-lister status, I settled for the free cookies offerred and a cup of coffee. I love restaurants that give delicious cookies at the end of a meal.


Private Club Room via NY Times Blog


Note that the decor has been described as "Ralph Lauren-esque," quite fitting given that owner Miky Grendene's wife Leticia has modeled for RL's American Living campaign.

The property, built in 1925, is on the Historical Registery. The Grendene's purchased the house in 1999 and began extensive renovations. One may also "rent rooms" here- ranging from $750 and up, with the privilege of selecting linen types and bath products.
Has anyone stayed here? How was it? For more information, visit their website at: http://casatualifestyle.com/
-Emmie
PS Please note that a few pictured I did not credit- those are all courtesy (I believe) of the restaurant.

10 comments:

  1. It does look like a treat! Love the first image and the sound of your risotto. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cookies after a meal sounds heavenly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to teach my daughter the importance of an independent "date night" - a little oxygen is good for one! I love a little spot in NY - "One of by land, Two if by Sea" -
    Thanks for your kind comments over at Summer is a Verb!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that idea.....what a great way to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want that zebra mirror!! That is VERY RL-esque...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't think your dinner could have been sad at all, but instead DIVINE. Great idea and beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! Thank you for all the positive comments. I was slightly worried that I would come across as a recluse. For me though, (clearly, a bit of an introvert!) it is very therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you enjoyed the risotto is by far my favorite item on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great reason to visit Miami. I also love your idea of an independent date night. For me, there are few things more enjoyable than going to see a great movie alone, although I usually go to a matinee.

    –Lana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Date night is always good! I do a movie/lunch date sometimes!

    Re: the comment on One if by Land, Two if By Sea. I had a great meal there last fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments! It means so much to me.