Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Twin Cities: Two Much of a Good Thing

So I mentioned I"m up in the Great White North as I jokingly call this place. I'm up in Minneapolis, Minnesota- a city I moved to after I graduated grad school. While I'm thrilled to be out of the cold (mostly) and back South, I have very fond memories of this place. First of all, it represented my first big move by myself and some sense of my claim for independence. (Of course, I then left my city and my job to move to Atlanta for Mr. Southern, so there goes my whole Independent Woman schpiel. But, I did make the choice and am happy I did.)


For those who have never ventured to Minneapolis or St. Paul, you may be recalling movies like Fargo (which was actually filmed, in part, in Minneapolis). Or perhaps Grumpy Old Men. While there's a nugget of truth in these films, the reality is a much more diverse- and engaging- cultured town. With so many large companies based in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, the Twin Cities are rather cosmopolitan. Great dining, great art (including theatre), and great shopping.


For example, when you think outdoor sculpture, do you envision the Spoon Bridge and Cherry? That's here in Minneapolis.
Claes Oldenburg & Coosje van Bruggen at the Walker Art Museum (a fabulous museum, by the way).




Tonight, I took my team to the first Coal Fired Pizza joint in Minneapolis- Black Sheep Pizza- and got to walk through my old stomping grounds, The Warehouse District (aka North Loop). I, in fact, lived on the third floor of the building of The Black Sheep (side note: so glad they were not there when I lived in the building, or I would have gained 20 pounds, easily.)

With the cities' Midwest "sensibilties" you might be quick to assume much of the Design in this area is bungalow or craftsman style. And there is a good bit of that around town (and I LOVE it! Especially when envisioning a warm and cozy home in the cold cold winter. )


Bungalow Club

Minneapolis Real Estate





Minneapolis Real Estate


But there are some very sleek loft spaces here too. For example, Andrew Flesher's Minneapolis loft, featured in Loft Living and Apartment Therapy.



Others, like these:




They also have some "crazy" Modern updates too, similar to what we see in Atlanta (and I do not mean this in a pejorative way at all).





So I can't say "Twin Cities" and omit St. Paul, though I don't know St. Paul as well. What I can tell you is that I would ADORE a house on Summit Avenue, reportedly a site of refuge for some of the Chicago gangsters of the early 1900s. Regardless, let's take a look.... (photos from real estate listings).




295 Summit

266 Summit


476 Summit

251 Summit


807 Summit


955 Summit


For more great homes, and the source of the photos from Jennifer Kirby, please visit Minneapolis- St. Paul Luxury Real Estate.

And I have to give a shout-out to my relatives, though we've sadly lost touch over the years- at The Grethen House- (visit their blog here) THE source for cutting edge, quality fashion. The company was started by my Grandmother's sister, Greta, and is run by my grandmother's niece (Greta's daughter). HUGE honor.

And lastly, a personal note. I mentioned leaving my job and heading South for Mr. Southern. I know that once one gets married, all the other little anniversaries fall by the wayside, but I had to mention that two years ago tonight, Mr. Southern asked me to marry him (after he asked for the blessing of my mom and stepdad, as well as daddy and stepmom). I love him so much and am so thankful he's a part of my life. I miss you sweetie and can't wait to see you Thursday! :-)

-Emmie

17 comments:

  1. What a fun tour! I've never been to MN but i've heard good things. And after seeing those gorgeous St. Paul homes, I think I could brave the frigid winters to get to live in a gorgeous Victorian or Tudor like those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emmie - I loved this post. My mom's family is all from Minnesota, "yah, you betcha". My grandparents hailed from Moorhead, across the river from Fargo. I have cousins in Minneapolis and my Aunt & Uncle live across the St. Croix in Hudson, WI. So fun to see all the pics as it's years since I've been back. I can only imagine how happy you are to be out of the snowy winters?! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and your husband x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some awesome houses! Isn't Minnesota a "Norwegian" city??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm headed to Minneapolis for a conference this summer and I'm so excited! I've been there for work in the past, but have always been stuck in the burbs. I'm finally going to stay in the city. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been there- but from this tour it looks alot cooler then what I had envisioned...well not really sure I had even envisioned it :)

    And it is so cute that you got engaged two years ago today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only ever seen the inside of the airport in Minnesota. One day I'm going to make a trip there. I LOVE those bungalows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got to be kidding me! I ate dinner at Black Sheep last night too!! We were there from probably 6-8pm celebrating my boyfriend's birthday!

    What a great post on my lovely city! The North Loop is my favorite part of the city, well that and St Anthony Main. I just love it along the river!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard lovely things abt Minneapolis; I have a former neighbor that lived there and he LOVED it. It looks beautiful from all your pictures and as far as moving south goes, you certainly made the right decision for you, Missy. Isn't that what being independent is really about, anyway! Congrats on the 'anniversary', may many more come your way!

    I look forward to checking out your relative's company, pretty cool to have a 'fashion house' in the fam. Also, impressed you used the word 'pejorative' in a sentence, not sure I've seen that one since my SAT days and I certainly haven't used it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember visiting you there, too! Safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for that lovely little tour. I haven't been there, but should I ever go, I now know a little something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary of your engagement!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks charming... have a wonderful time.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hubs is from Duluth...so I am quite familiar. Your lovely post almost has me convinced I could live in that frozen state...almost. Ah ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you made it home safely!!

    We actually stayed in and cooked up some corned beef! Did you go anywhere fun to celebrate??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Andrew Flesher's living room. Congratulations on your proposal anniversary! Mine happens to be July 4th so I always remember it too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, after rеading this awеsome post i аm too delighted to share mу knοw-how here wіth colleaguеs.


    Feel free tо ѕurf to mу website :: effective weight loss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments! It means so much to me.