Friday, January 29, 2010

Hostess with the Mostess

Four of my very best girlfriends are coming into town this weekend and I'm so excited! We all met at graduate school in Charlottesville. Given my "career slowdown" in the last couple of years, I joke that I spent $100k to find best friends and a husband (Mr. Southern and I also met at UVA). But I digress.

Of course, I am most happy about seeing the girls. However, I also LOVE to entertain and host, so I am going all out trying to get the house together. Unfortunately, there are some projects that just won't be completed, but I'm working on all the "little" things! You've all probably seen the list of what a guest room needs, but here's my take on it....

Bedside Carafe. I love these and think every room should have one. I was thrilled to find mine at a Simon Pearce store on sale, but these are all great options.



Tuvalu Carafe with etched glass, $38


CB2 Cora Carafe, $9.95

My Sparrow Handblown Carafe, set of 3, $67

Flowers on the bedside table...

via Country Living

Reading materials and a bedside lamp



A luggage rack would be helpful...


Frontgate Leather Luggage Rack, $149

Great linens (bedding and bath) is a no-brainer.

via Fine Linens

It's not just about thread count... While Overstock and Smartbargains have great deals on bedding, I prefer other sites (BeddingStyle is one). I like to know the brand names so I have a better sense of the actual sheets that I'm getting. I have found I really like Pottery Barn's as well!

For the bath, I like to leave out mini soaps so guests can have a fresh bar (I don't know why, but I get skeeved out by using soap that someone else has used).

I've not ordered from here, but The Soap Guy seems to have a great selection- 60 handmade 1-ounce bars for $41.95 in flavors like Cafe Mocha, Banana Coconut, Plumeria Aloe, and Vanilla Oatmeal.

Or try this sampler from Caswell-Massey, for $80.
And I couldn't leave out Claus Porto, one of the best bar soaps ever. Touch of Europe mini 5-pack from $24.

The best thing about Caswell-Massey and Claus Porto- no animal testing!


Of course, I also like to have out other essentials, like lotions, a spare toothbrush, hair dryer, etc.

After a restful slumber, I love to serve a great breakfast. Hot coffee (with cream and sugar), orange juice, and options other than cold cereal.

via Cooking Light

Hope y'all have a lovely weekend!!

-Emmie

22 comments:

  1. How funny, apparantly we were reading each others blogs at the same time!

    Have a ball this weekend with your friends and thanks for sharing "The Soap Guy"! I'm definitely going to have to try that. I love pretty and individual soaps. I, too, get skeeved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bedside carafe...I have never used it but it has by monogrammed and looks pretty. Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emmie!

    It's going to snow like crazy here and in C'ville later tonight!!
    Have a beautiful weekend ~~

    xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have a photo, a glass of water, a candle, a lamp, my clock, a book and usually a note from my daughter which says something like "You are the best Mommy in the World." Makes my day!!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I love all of your ideas, Emmie, and can't help but think how we could incorporate them in Tokyo. Have a wonderful weekend with your friends-I'm sure the time will be precious.

    PS-Thank you for the award! It's my first ever and it tickled me pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful weekend. I love all your sweet touches for your guests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and love it. I'm also a fan of the carafe, although mine is currently housed under the bathroom sink, thanks to my kids' endless thirst when they spot it sitting out :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you think of everything! At the house where I work we also put a nice bowl of fresh fruit with a small plate and a knife. It's a lovely little extra touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, your guests will be living it up in style with a stay at your house! Love the variety of carafes you featured, as well as that vase beside the bed. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love having company! Your friends will be so comfortable with all of the welcoming touches. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I come stay with you, Emmie??!?!? :)

    PS- Talked to Dave and it turns out his Southern family was originally from PA! So perhaps they are related after all? Dave did a lot of geneology research a few years ago and apparently Conn isn't that common a name.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this list! hope you have a fabulous weekend with your friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great time with your friends. All those things are things I need to get for a our house for guests.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything on your list! Our local SteinMarts have lots of Caswell Massey items so you can stock up for guests - and yourself! Hope your weekend is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your guests will never want to leave with this kind of service...gorgeous! Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like so much fun! And you truly are the hostess with the mostess!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that silver damask wallpaper in photo #5 is BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  18. THat bedside table with the flower arrangement is magic! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. You absolutely win the award for hostess with the Mostess!!! Ironed sheets, bedside water and snacks. . . you are going to soon rival our idol Martha. So great to see you and thanks SO much for hosting us!!! See you in March!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post!! From being in the hotel industry years ago, I learned that it is perfectly sanitary to use, used soap. the piles of soap bars that go in the garbage in hotels must be brutal!!

    I would love to visit you though, sounds like you are like a martha with your hospitality!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Emmie, you did a wonderful job. Beside goldfish and water? Ironed sheets? You are the hostess with the most-ess. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just lovely, a bevy of gorgeous luxe shots and ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments! It means so much to me.