Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Shopping Temptations... and my only "organization" post

Banner Ad
Vineyard Vines

Along with my newfound commitment to champagne, I've decided that another resolution I should make is to stop buying things on sale. Yep, this is from the same gal whining about spending too much unnecessarily a few weeks ago. But I've realized that just seeing things on sales gets my pulse accelerating and I get giddy... and then just stupid.

Neiman Marcus

I love shopping... and when I see something for 40% off (or more), I convince myself to buy way more than I really need. Or even want. And then I end up with a bunch of fabulous buys that just hang in the closet.



The ones that really get me are the no returns (hello, JCrew). Great deals but what if the item doesn't fit? On the plus side, I have made some very lovely charitable donations to my local Goodwill or women's shelter. (And just in case, we photograph every single item we donate. I'm not kidding- Mr. Southern makes me do it).







Folder_1JCrew

For what it's worth, here's how I pare down my closet collection in an attempt to achieve some sort of glorious look like this:

***Please note- this is NOT my closet- I WISH! This is from The Container Store.***

Wooden hangers from The Container Store. I buy the Premium or Basic Walnut hangers- but not too many of them (at $3.99 - $11.99 a pop they aren't cheap). If I truly love something, I have no problem justifying hanging it on a beautiful dark wood hanger. If I'm on the fence and feel that the item could remain on the plastic hanger...or that another item may be more deserving of the pretty hanger... well, that item should go.

I'm sure you have much more sophisticated advice out there, but this has worked fabulously for me.

Now... how to decide which sale to capitalize on... kidding. How about you- are you shopping these sales? May I "live" vicariously through your purchases?

23 comments:

  1. I don't have a single nice hanger. Pity, isn't it? But then again, my hangers would be worth more than my clothes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've only started purchasing nice hangers for our Tokyo home. The closet in the master suite is super nice and much like the one in your above picture. It's helping us get our organization skills together!

    I like your resolution, but it is difficult at times. We've spent the better part of six months donating clothes and selling some since again, we're downsizing for our big move.

    Isn't it funny how one moment can change everything?

    You have a great philosohpy for clothes that I'm going to have to adopt, Emmie. Undoubtedly it will help over these next few months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm horrible with sales and also get really stupid. I feel your pain! I however haven't made a resolution to stop...i'm still in the denial phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't even mention my 'final sale' items from J.Crew arriving via mail today. I was sucked in to their site and bought, bought, bought. I'm now scared.

    Jumping on board your bandwagon with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, sales can be dangerous! I am wanting some wooden hangers too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as a store or a website slaps a 40% off sale I am a total sucker for anything they are selling me. Its a bad habit and I need to break it.....starting now.

    Ok, off to JCrew where they "Just added more to their final sale" ugg, I'm hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought a bunch of fun accessories from Boden's 60% off sale. An adorable belt for $14, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh...you love shopping as much as I do! Especially online shopping! :) so glad you stopped my blog...I just love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I forgot...we were never in The Knot, but boy I wish we could be!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, like Devon, gave into the J Crew final sale. The box is unopened right now...I tried to get things I was 95% certain on! I live with a man who must have matching wooden hangers. Crazy, I know. He's converted me. Now on to that J Crew box...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have more size 12 in my closet which i will never get around to have tailored into a size 6....I am such an impulsive shopper when I see one of my favorite designer piece reduced by 50% to 75% off...Thank you Saks...i cannot resist and then...it hangs in my closet and eventually find a home in my friend's closet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to know because my friends will be psyched but truth be known, I don't shop these brands any longer because I like to be the only one in the room with a particular dress on :)))

    Hope you are well, happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trust me, I'm an idiot when I get those emails, too! Especially when I get the additional % off from Neimans! And with a B-reps and a JCrew outlet within 10 minutes I am almost always in trouble!!

    I did want to tell you about the hangers I just bought at ikea last week. They have 10-packs of decent wooden hangers for $8.99 and I don't think it was the sale price...not as nice as the container store version but much kinder on the wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sales are always tempting, but I just decided that I need to stop buying anything new until I wear out what I've got! Have a great day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love wooden hangers. I made the 'hanger' change-over two years ago...so glad I did it. After looking at the expensive ones, I found some as equally doable at Home Depot - less than $10 for 10. My closet still isn't magazine image worthy, but the hangers look nice and are so much better for my clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to be sooo bad at buying stuff on sale. 75% off a Turnbull and Asser shirt? Who could resist? Someday it will fit if I get that big or that small. I still shop sales, but I'm very picky now. I'm purging my closet and I'm happy to report that nothing that I'm getting rid of still has tags on it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay so now I'm curious about photographing each one? So you remember what you have? I would so love to have a closet like the one you have and purchases with price tags hanging on them really bug me too. It says, that is not my look so I shouldn't have bought it in the first place! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you - sales are so addictive. Last year I found a great local consignment shop and really cleaned our my closets. It was a bit depressing seeing how many things I had with the tags still on - all great deals! So, I'm trying to stay away from my favorite shops and websites now unless I actually need something. BTW - your closet is beautiful - mine is much more crowded, but I always use nice hangers - wooden or padded. It just gives you a good feeling to see them in your closet . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. The day after Christmas I switch from buying winter clothes to beginning to stockpile summer duds. Waaay more fun. And, what's this about champers? Not giving it up I hope! I've just decided that Rosè champers is going to be my new signature...XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep, the post-holiday sales and e-mail notices have been killer! I'm trying to refrain, but it's been so hard. I caved and bought a sweater from VV, but really trying to ignore everything else. Need more self-control!

    ReplyDelete
  21. haha i have such a shopping problem as well, especially when things are on sale lol

    love your blog! :)
    - Audrey Allure
    http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazingly great tip about the hanger: is the item good enough for the hanger. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments! It means so much to me.