Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weekend in the Gardens... A Getaway Callaway Gardens

For my birthday present, Mr. Southern Aspirations took me to Callaway Gardens for the weekend.  He knows how much I enjoy gardening and going to the spa and thought it would be a perfect combination for a trip (not to mention the option for him to play a round of golf!).   

A few quick notes... I recommend that you stay either at the Lodge or the Cottages by the Lodge (didn't see the villas).  We started out at Mountain Creek Inn, but that lasted all of 2 minutes. I'm sure some of the rooms were fine, but the motel-look was not quite what we were going for.  The Spa was fabulous- Mr. Southern booked a massage for me while he played golf. They incorporate aromatherapy and have a nice relaxation lounge.  Friendly, but not overly talkative. The happy finale was seeing the Claus Porto soaps on sale for 50% off in the gift shop! (apparently, they didn't sell well).  

We enjoyed hiking the property- which is much more expansive than I had imagined- and getting inspiration and ideas for our backyard project. Interestingly, the property predominately natural-looking wooded areas and only some highly manicured gardens.  Much of the wooded areas have Azaleas as well though, so I'm sure if you time it right, it is gorgeous. We also relaxed by the pool, went bike riding- my first time in years (and yes, the adage is mostly true, though I was a little shaky), and had a lovely dinner overlooking the Gardens and Golf Course.  While it's certainly not the Greenbrier (which I believe is on the market, if you're looking to pick up a little property) or the Biltmore, it is a lovely woodsy getaway about an hour outside of Atlanta and I look forward to going back. Hope you enjoy the pictures!  

Koi pond at the Sibley Horticultural Center.  Love the structural elements amid the water and lush greenery.

Herons everywhere!

Footbridge over the lake (and my sad attempt to show reflections in my photography)

Love the idea of having a climbing plant creating shade for a swing.


Pretty flowers outside the Butterfly center, quite possibly my favorite section of the gardens. 

 


I'll end with the butterflies.  They were everywhere in the conservatory.  Fascinating to watch. This is a USDA protected area, however, since many of the species are not native to the US.  

Have a great start to the week!

-Emmie

PS- Posting this week will be slower as I hit the Deli/Bakery trade show and host my colleagues in Atlanta. Wish me luck! Can't wait to catch up on everyone's Blogs afterwards!  And for any foodies, I'll try to get good stuff from the show!  

5 comments:

  1. I love that bench in the garden. Kind of reminds me of the bench in the movie Notting Hill - one of my favourites!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday again, then!

    Yes, please post on how your trade show goes...any pics of yummy dessert treats are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet birthday present; it all looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful place!!!
    Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered your blog and love it! I was born and raised as a Georgia Peach, and now I'm a California girl!

    This post reminded me of fond times with my family - Calloway Gardens is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your comments! It means so much to me.